“Out of sight, out of mind” is the motto of a lot of people. While fine, this can be detrimental when it comes to forgetting to maintain expensive and important parts of your home like your HVAC system. One of the most forgotten parts of the HVAC system are the air ducts, since they are tucked away in your insulation in your attic. However, when one breaks and air or water begins leaking out the ducts, water and energy bills skyrocket, getting the homeowner’s attention. If you notice air or water leaking from an air duct, here is a simple solution to temporarily fix it until an HVAC technician arrives to permanently repair it.
How To Fix Air Duct Leaks
- Turn the HVAC fan on and stick your hand in the air duct.
- Feel around in the air duct for drafts or any escaping air.
- Mark the large areas you feel that are losing air with a grease pencil.
- Light a match and hold it in the duct joints. If it falters, that is where a small leak is. Mark those small leaks with the grease pencil.
- When you find the hole, place air duct sealing tape over it.
- Examine the outside of the ducts.
- Mark and cover the same leaking spots with a grease pencil and sealing tape.
- Call an HVAC technician to permanently repair or replace your air ducts.
Having your air ducts properly sealed not only improves indoor air quality and flow, but puts less pressure on your roof as not as much hot air is seeping through the decking and roof that causes damages, meaning less home repair services calls. If you think you have a leaking air duct and need air duct sealing services in Huntsville, AL, call R & M Heating and Cooling at (256) 763-7535 today.